Deliver high quality, cost-effective clinical service by evidence-based practice. Evolve state of art approaches in the field of Physiotherapy in Neurology and Psychiatry conditions.
- Promote the provision of ethical, efficient, and cost-effective physiotherapy services through evidence-based practices on a consistent basis to serve the patient afflicted with various ailments.
- Serve the physiotherapeutic needs in par excellence with international standard of practices.
- Strong commitment to teaching and continuing education through various academic activities.
- To up bring the department for the excellence in physiotherapy services.
Physiotherapy is a holistic approach to the prevention, assessment, and therapeutic management of disorders of movement or optimization of function by the use of physical interventions, and/or electro physical agents, and/or exercise prescription within a framework of empowerment of the individual/care of the community through education. Established since 2016, our physiotherapy department caters to the needs of patients of all ages, types (out-patient or in-patient), coming directly or with referral from any medical branch. Our physiotherapy department is equipped with state-of-the-art machines and therapeutic modalities to provide the best possible care with great safety and efficiency.
Who needs Physiotherapy?
Modern life is fast-paced and chock a block full of needs, demands, deadlines, and hassles. Everyone is running after something in emergency mode. As a result, back pain, knee pain, neck strains, etc. have become commonplace. People rely on all sorts of over-the-counter medications and painkillers to relieve them. However, they don’t think of visiting a physiotherapist until the problem has aggravated.
Although you do not need a physiotherapist for every sprain and ache, you must pay a visit when you have any of the following conditions.
- Loss of balance: You may feel a loss of balance if you have issues in your inner ear. Known as the vestibular system, certain structures inside your ear maintain your body’s balance system. So, any conditions affecting the inner ear can produce symptoms of vertigo, dizziness, and balance disturbance. Physiotherapy can help you to re-train your central nervous system and compensate for the vestibular problems.
- Chronic pain: If you have been in pain for more than a few days, you need to go to a physiotherapist. They can diagnose your problem and suggest a treatment plan.
- Before and after surgery: As surgeries can result in certain complications, getting physiotherapy is essential both pre and post operations.
- Neurological disease: Conditions like Parkinson’s disease, cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, and stroke can affect the patient’s movements severely. With physiotherapy treatment, they can’t get rid of the condition, but can surely have a better quality of life.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy and after it, you have to pay extra attention to your body. The ligaments that support your back can soften due to hormonal changes. The muscles of your pelvic floor and stomach stretch as your baby grows. Without adequate joint support, injury to the pelvis and back can happen. Physiotherapy not only helps you to support your body but also helps you to recover faster.
Advantages of physiotherapy:
Physiotherapy uses a holistic approach to promote and maintain proper physical function and activity in individuals.
They can help you with many things like restoring mobility, maintaining physical activity, and enhancing overall health and wellness.
Preventing disease, injury, and disability.
Reducing or eliminating pain with therapeutic exercises and techniques like joint and soft tissue mobilization.
Strengthening the weakened parts of the body after a stroke.
Eliminating acute and chronic health conditions that limit activity and mobility.
Can help with diabetes and vascular diseases.
Helps patients manage the pain from arthritis, osteoporosis, or joint replacements.
Physiotherapy at cardiac rehabilitation is focused on improving the quality of life through strength building and breathing exercises.
Educating and developing support programs to reduce the chances of re-injury or re-occurrence of the conditions.
Additionally, one can also get some specialized treatment for pelvic health and pain, bowel incontinence, fibromyalgia, urinary continence, and lymphedema.
Physiotherapy services available at DIMHANS
While the treatment for every individual is tailored to fit their specific conditions, the therapies that physiotherapist will choose can be broadly divided into the following.
- Manual therapies: Manual therapies include manipulation and mobilization techniques for the joints and spinal cord, stretching exercises, and manual resistance training.
- Exercise programs: Training programs like cardiovascular stretching, muscle strengthening, and posture retraining.
- Electrotherapy techniques: These consist of short wave diathermy, TENS or Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, Interferential Therapy (IFT), Traction and Ultrasound.